Successful candidates will be skillful in growing revenue into the organization by increasing demand for our programs, with an initial focus on the GreenScreen suite of tools. In this newly established position the Business Development Manager will work with the Executive Director in refining current, and developing new, earned income strategies across the organization. The Business Development Manager will deepen and broaden existing partnerships as well cultivate new relationships to grow the use of our tools and participation in our collaborations. The Business Development Manager will work with the Executive Director and program staff in creating and executing business development opportunities.
Critical abilities of the Business Development Manager include: understanding the pain points of existing and new clients; working with staff to create solutions to meet these pain points; creating and managing targeted marketing campaigns; having fluency in strategic communications; and creating harmonious business transactions that reflect the values of the organization. Capability in navigating input and needs from a diversity of stakeholders – investors, NGOs, regulators, and businesses across a range of sectors, including chemical, building products, retail, electronics, apparel and footwear, consumer goods, health care, and toys – is essential.
- Develop, update, and execute strategies for growing earned income across all programs.
- Ensure integration and alignment of business development efforts across all aspects of the organization, including mission/vision, marketing, program services, and traditional fundraising.
- Cultivate new relationships for fee-for service and optimize existing relationships.
- Work with the program team to craft and customize tools to meet client needs.
- Develop quotes, financial targets, and proposals in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Develop sales and budgetary goals for the team and ensure they are met.
- Establish internal and external systems to manage relationships.
- Update and communicate the value propositions of the programs and the organization to current and prospective clients.
- Identify new leads and potential new markets for our tools and collaborations.
- Broaden and deepen existing partnerships and cultivate new partnerships.
- Plan and oversee new marketing initiatives in conjunction with the communications and program teams.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and sales displays.
- Contact partners to inform them about new developments in organization’s tools and collaborations.
- Plan, coordinate and execute a robust marketing and communication strategy.
- Manage relationships with users of the tools for quality assurance and control.
- Leverage development and dissemination of our tools through partnerships with businesses, governments, and non-profit organizations.
- Support and execute strategic partnerships to integrate our tools into other programs standards, and to harmonize with leading regulatory and other initiatives.
- Grow earned income across all programs.
- Elevate the prominence and use of the organization’s tools and collaborations.
Required Skill, Knowledge and Competencies
- Minimum of five years experience in developing corporate fundraising partnerships and sponsorship proposals beyond traditional non-profit philanthropic and charitable fundraising.
- Environmental health knowledge, experience, demonstrated passion and/or track record.
- Excel at working collaboratively with technical experts and environmental advocates.
- Familiarity with non-profit social enterprise best practices.
- This position requires initiative, resourcefulness and experience as a “self-starter”.
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly and concisely through written and spoken word – representational and public speaking skills are essential
- Strong listening, communication, and collaboration skills.
- A proven track record of successful proposals, campaigns and relationship management.
- Experience and enjoyment of event planning, production, and follow up including: budget development and management, scheduling and vendor coordination, and promotion and communications.
- Ability to appropriately communicate sensitive information and to judge how and with whom this information should be shared.
- Advanced computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite of applications and relational databases. Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Knowledge and ability to implement principles of management, leadership, and motivation including use of online – shared project management systems such as Smartsheet or Basecamp.
- Ability to foster a collaborative, customer-oriented working environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence including, consensus building and teamwork.
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to manage several tasks and meet deadlines; and effective time & detail management skills.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality: begin work on time, conform to work hours as required for a salaried, exempt employee; ensure unscheduled sick/personal time does not exceed established company standards.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
The Business Development Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
How to Apply
If you are comfortable working in a dynamic, evolving, and innovative environment, and believe you are an excellent candidate, then please submit your resume, two writing samples, and cover letter as soon as possible to:
Subject line: BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
No agencies. No phone calls, please.
Candidates must be eligible to accept employment and work in the United States.